Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Let's just set the record straight.

There are some really rude people out there - and they don't even know that they're rude. A very good friend of mine just announced that she's pregnant - with baby #11. She's the most awesome mom I've ever met, and I have no clue how she does it. They've come to visit us in our small house (when they had 9) and you would have NEVER known there were that many people here. They're just that great.

But someone had to say it. The same thing I've been hearing the last couple years (and more in the last few months), and drives me batty. "Keep it up and TLC will give you a show!". Like the only reason people with large families have them is to go on TV. Or that the Duggars and Jon and Kate inspire us that much, that we want to be just like them. Um... Don't think so!

If fact, I think I've heard a comment about being like the Duggars or Jon and Kate at least 10 times this pregnancy. And really - it's old. It's not funny - it's actually pretty rude. It's right up there with asking us if we know how that happens (yes, we do, and we LIKE it!!).

People need to understand that I don't have a large family because I just don't know how to use birth control. I don't do it to piss them off, or burden them. I really don't give a crap about how anyone else feels about the size of my family. And I'm sorry that your parents didn't instill manners in you that when someone with a large family announces another baby you don't know how to say congratulations - instead you question them, and ask why. Or ask if they're trying to catch up to the Duggars.

And just so I don't need to type it all out - since she says it better than me - Large Family FAQs. Read that, and realize how stupid and rude you're being when you ask those questions. And yes, you are being STUPID and RUDE.

6 comments:

  1. Yup, yup, yup. I got sick of the comments at least 3 kids ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that same "reality show" comment all the time and it bugs me! sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! Can't believe some people...My mom had 8 kids. I love big families. I don't know if I could handle more than my 2 right now, but I would love for my kids to have lots of brothers and sisters.

    Allison, your kids seem very happy. I know I was growing up..there was always someone to play with, to tease, to hide from, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling. This is only #4 for me. Probably the last baby, but you never know what life can bring. I'm 21 weeks along and just told family last week and only because they were coming to visit. Otherwise I would have probably just waited until I had the baby. Of course we got all the usual comments. "Tell me this is going to be the last one." "Was this planned." Etc. No one really seems to be happy for you after baby #2 these days. I can't tell you how many strangers have seen me pregnant and toting around my 3 other kids and made comments about trying to be like the Duggars. I always say something to the effect of "Aren't they amazing? I admire what wonderful people they all are and can only hope my children turn out as good as theirs". Do people really think I'm having kids because of watching that show?? Thats just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, it would be so nice to hear Congrats instead of "are you done yet?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's really funny is when people don't get WHY you don't tell them that you're pregnant when they don't know how to say congratulations!

    ReplyDelete