Saturday, November 14, 2009

Flabbergasted

I don't quite understand this phenomenon. The other day my good friend and I were talking about birth/babies/Dr's, etc etc. She tells me when she had her last baby, the discharge nurse came in to do her thing. The nurse said something about the uterus, and I don't remember exactly what it was, because I was so shocked at the following statement. In regards to the uterus "it's the place your baby grew before she was born". Which, yes, is true. But that a nurse feels it necessary to educate a new mom about what her uterus is, is what flabbergasted me.

I understand that not everyone feels the need to research every single little thing about what is happening in their life, but can not imagine having so little knowledge about something SO major. But it must be something that comes up often, if this nurse feels it necessary to tell each patient what a uterus is.

But it's not just in that situation that I see it happening. And not just in economic and demographic situations where information isn't readily available to people to find on their own easily. But then I wonder, are people really just so trusting of other people, to take whatever they say as fact and truth? I wish I could be so trusting (and I'm not ready for a tin foil hat by any means).

Back to the birth thing. Can someone please explain to me why someone would head towards something so important, so special, such a life changing event, without finding out as much as possible about it? Why does a nurse need to explain to a new mom what is uterus is. Why does a pregnant woman not know what discomforts are just part of pregnancy, and not mean you're dying. Why are they afraid to ask their Dr/midwife questions about what's going on, or for advice for easing one discomfort or another, and turn solely to friends or acquaintances that know little more than they do? It's a little bit scary.

I listen and talk to pregnant moms, and I'm astouned that these adults have less information than I did when I was pregnant for the first time. At 15. I asked questions, I read every book I could get my hands on (too bad the "What to Expect" series was one of the only options then!). I knew more about my body, what was going to be happening and how and why, then a lot of pregnant women, and even women that have had a baby befrore, when I was barely out of childhood myself.

And then I wonder what kind of society that we've developed where so little value and emphasis is put on self education, that nurses have to tell a woman who just carried her baby for 9 months what her uterus is.

Happy cranky 28 weeks to me!! :)




Coming back to add more :) I realize this could be taken the wrong way. I do think a community of woman to get information form, or just commiserate with is a VALUABLE resource in pregnancy and motherhood. Even if it's online. But there comes a time when it should be obvious that they may not know the answers you're looking for, and to seek out more information. Why would I get information on what to expect from a cesarean if I needed it from woman who have never had one? Again, one of those things that I think as a society we've shied away from. Not only self education, but problem solving. And realizing when you don't have the complete answer, and the knowledge of how to find it yourself (or who the right person to ask would be!).

Rant really over this time! (I think)

1 comment:

  1. this is a pet-peeve of mine. I don't know if it's society or individuals, but the idea that women make so many important decisions based on NO INFORMATION truly frightens me. And I will NOT go into my "informed consent" rant about women, OBs, and c-sections, not today. ;)

    ReplyDelete